Welcome back to the blog!
Today we are making the MAYA thong bottoms.
This is the most popular style and super easy to make if you are a beginner! I've made a step by step DIY walkthrough below and the pattern will be available to download as a PDF so you can print it at home yourself. I use an overlocker to make bikinis but you can easily make this style with a regular sewing machine using a zig zag stitch. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a comment and I will do my best to help you where I can.
Love Alice x
We are using the MAYA thong pattern for this DIY Tutorial.
I made this pattern myself, it is a thong cut minimal design for minimal tan lines.
- Sew crotch seam with a o.5cm seam allowance
- If using an overlocker thread your tail ends back through the seam and cut off the excess
- Match seams at the crotch right sides together
- Pin your pattern pieces together to prevent from sliding
Add swimwear elastic to each side seam. Start and stop at the points indicated in red.
- Turn bottoms right side out by pulling through the open top edge
- Sew along top edges to close
- Turn down your top edges 1cm to the inside creating a channel and pin
- This is where you would add in the label
- Top stitch the channel in place and secure the label
- Fold straps in half lengthwise and sew down
- Add Elastic, following the seam you just sewed in place
- Using a Loop Turner, pull through straps so they are right side out
- Using a Loop Turner, pull each strap through each channel of the bottoms – one at the front one at the back
- Knot strap ends to secure
Tada! Your done! With practice you should be able to whip these up in around 15-20 mins.
Next week we will be making the matching MUSE top!